Thursday, September 15, 2011

Inviting My Neighbors/Friends to Church?: Conclusion

Hopefully through this short series (post 1, 2, 3) you can see some differences in how the Bible defines church and the people of God verses what you and I have been taught for generations.  Church isnt' a place or a building but a people.  This church should represent who Jesus is in the way they speak and act in the community.  They aren't perfect, and that's the point, they point to Jesus, who is perfect, not to themselves.   As they gather together on a Sunday (or other days) this is why they celebrate.  They celebrate this very fact that they aren't perfect and Jesus is and he is the depth of their joy and desires. 


So, with all this said...do I desire for my neighbors/friends to come to a church gathering with me on a Sunday? Will I ever invite a neighbor to church?


This is actually a yes and no answer.  The first I will give is the "no" answer. 



First, our gathering on a Sunday would be very boring for someone who doesn't follow Jesus.  I'd much rather hang out with them smoking a pipe or cigar, have a drink, BBQ some food and answer questions they might have about Jesus or why I follow him.   Plus, when we do that, I won't break out the guitar, hand them a song sheet and ask them to follow along as I sing hymns to Jesus.  That's a little strange in general, but even more so for one who doesn't follow Jesus.  I've actually thought about doing that as a joke with some of my neighbors as they know me well enough that they would find it hilarious.  


If our entire reason for a Sunday gathering is for the sake of Jesus and praising him for what he has done, what he is doing and what he will do, then most of what happens on a Sunday is going to be very odd for my friends and neighbors.  Not only that, but if I am living out who God is to my neighborhood, most of what I want them to see about God will be happening every day.  They'll see the good in me, the bad in me, the fact that I am not into "converting them into my way of thinking" and hopefully will see my hope in Jesus.   


So, the first part of this is "no, I'd never ask my neighbor to join me for a church gathering." 


But wait...Yes, I would.


Let me be clear about this.  I am not trying to create community or befriend people with an ulterior motivation.  I am not seeking to do this so they'll "go to my church",  think like me or become some sort of Americanized version of a Christian.  I am motivated to create community because of what God has done for me.  I am told to love God and love neighbor...so that is what I trying to do because God has shown so much love towards me.  So, my neighbor/friend/family member can never become a follower of Jesus, never go to my church, never think in the ways that I do and I am totally okay with that and it won't affect our relationship at all.   Literally, if God told me, "That guy will never follow me", I'd still love them just the same.  Me converting another person to my way of thinking can never be my motivation for friendship. 


The sad thing is that for most people, they've encountered Christians that desire to only convert someone to their way(s) of thinking and if the person didn't convert...they moved on. They are basically an Amway Salesman cloaked with a Christian jacket.  They are trying to sell something and if you don't buy it...they move on.  They have given Jesus a bad name for years and should really open a used car lot with slick sales promotions of "What do I have to do to get you into heaven today? Please just sign here, and repeat after me." 


So, the question you might ask is this: Why then do you say you'd invite a neighbor to your church gathering?  


Well, I truly believe that Jesus gives the greatest joy, greatest hope and fulfills our greatest desires.  I desire to live this out and desire for people to follow Jesus.  I am motivated by God's love for me to show this to others.  So, I'd love for people to see who Jesus is through me, hear why he is my greatest hope, joy and desire through my words and then decide to follow him.  If that happens, then it'd be awesome for them to come and celebrate with me on a Sunday...or any other day we get together to do this.  


This isn't an end all.  It's not "if they don't follow Jesus, then I'm done with them." They can disagree with my conclusions about Jesus, but that won't change how I love my neighbors, because God loves me even when I don't agree with what he says about me...which happens all the time.  


I am on this road of following Jesus and ask anyone who wants to see what it's about to walk with me.   But, I am not pushy about it, but pretty laid back.  


I am going to fail my neighborhood and my friends in many ways.  I am not going to love them well, I am not going to pursue them well, I am not going to take care of them well.  


But that's the point.  I can't be anyone's savior. I'm just a dude.  I'm a follower of someone else who is greater. I am pointing to the one who will never fail,  loves perfectly and pursues everyone perfectly.  


May my neighbors and friends forgive this idiot who lives daily with them trying to build a true community of people who care for one another, have fun with one another and seek to respect and understand one another. 


May they see what the church looks like beyond the walls of a Sunday morning and at least be able to say, "We saw someone once who resembled the Jesus we read about in the Bible." 



No comments:

Post a Comment